Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Here we go again!

I figured I would start this thing back up again. Adult Life in Searcy, take two! Last summer I spent my time here in Searcy taking seven hours of class, and paying bills like a grown up in my very own house, that I rented out with my friend Bri! This summer I am stepping it up a notch: taking nine hours of class, signing a lease and renting a town house that I will continue to live in during the fall with my best friend Caroline, working full time as a Clinical Support associate (CSA) at White County Medical (as long as my drug screen comes back clear! haha) and being even more of an adult! haha.

This summer is going to be an adventure for sure. It has already started out as such an adventure. To start I finished the school year by passing my first year of nursing school! I am officially now a senior and a level 2 Nursing student. I am pretty much super pumped about that!! Once that hurdle had been passed within a matter of a couple days I was told I would be hired at the hospital, following a clear drug screen and by attending orientation, AND Caroline and I were told that renting out an apartment was a "done deal" from the landlord. I still need to follow up with him, but I am taking his word on it. He just told us that we need to have our deposit in by the end of the month. Everything just seems to be falling right into place!

I had originally planned on going home for the summer and taking classes on campus, and trying to work during the summer, but that wasn't working out too well. I most likely would have gotten into the classes ok, and living at home would have been nice, but the whole job wasn't working out too well. I had looked online for jobs on and off since February or march and still was not having any luck. That's when I heard from a nursing friend that they were working at the hospital in town, who was still hiring. I applied to a handful of units and about a week later decided to walk into the hospital to meet the nursing managers for a follow-up and to put a name with a face. I am so glad I did! My very first option was to work in the New Life Center (Labor/Deliver, Postpartum, Nursery) but the Nurse manager was gone on vacation (sad day!), so I ventured down to the emergency department where I met with the Nurse Manager and got a pretty good vibe! She said I should hopefully be hearing a call from her by the next Monday to set up an interview. I then went on to another unit where the vibes were so not good at all.. I will leave this unit unnamed. The fourth unit I met with was the Post-op/Pediatrics unit. Great vibes from the start, chatted with the Nurse Manager, and she literally hired me on the spot! I was so excited! She showed me around the unit and even introduced me to the Charge nurses. Needless to say, I felt good, haha. A couple days later the landlord of the apartment/townhouses Caroline and were looking at set up an appointment with us to look at an apartment. I had been in contact with him on and off for a while and had sent in an application for the apartment a few days or so earlier. The place we are looking at is a two bedroom, two full bath "townhouse". There is one bedroom and bath upstairs and the other downstairs. Not furnished, but comes with a fridge, stove, dishwasher, and disposal. And all for such a great price! After touring the place the landowner told us that we could call it a done deal and to get him our deposit by the end of the month! (on that note, just called him and everything is still confirmed! YAY!)

So now that I have gotten all of that underway I am also taking an intersession class with my wonderful boyfriend, David!! We are taking World Literature together. It is just a two week course where we go everyday for four hours. It really isn't bad though! I am enjoying it. Then I will have one course out of the way and the other two I will be taking online while i work. In which, I start work after I finish this intersession class, on May 21; just a side note.

Also to put on the good news list, my future employer said it was cool to take the week off for my sisters graduation on June 6th! So I get to go home on May 31 and return June 9th. Also did I let you all know she is letting me take off all Sundays. I was really happy with that. So that way I can go to church and all that good stuff ;) Everything really is just falling into place though. Now if I can just get my online classes both scheduled preferably in California so that I don't have to pay for them because of the lovely BOG waiver. Right now I am having to pay out of state tuition at an Arkansas State University campus and I just do not want to pay that much! Harding decided not to have online classes for what I need so I had to go elsewhere, which really is ok since it is so so sooooo much cheaper even taking these classes at another university. I just applied to a different college in California called College of the Canyons, because only one of the courses is offered online through Ventura College (where I have taken classes before), but there are only ten spots left open, and I cannot sign up for almost another two weeks! At College of the Canyons there are four or five online classes for each course, so my odds look much much better there! So keep your fingers crossed that it all works out!

Well I think I am going to head off here and read an excerpt for my class tomorrow. Our first test was today (yes it is only Wednesday, yes this class just started Monday), and I think it went well. She told us we will be having quizzes for extra credit every morning over our reading assignments so I need to read! Unlike I did for our last quiz.. whoops! At least it didn't count off of my grade or anything. But I really really really want an A in this class! And I know its achievable!!

But anyways, getting off for real. I am going to try my best and keep up with this during the summer. I do not have much planned besides visiting home, working, taking classes and spending time with my David!! and his family, haha. But we will see what we can find.. stay tuned ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment